Room # 3, Falaknuma Bldg.
39 Abdullah Haroon Rd.
Circular Number: C-196
Minimum wage of Rs. 25,000/= p.m. of Unskilled adult and Juvenile Workers in Islamabad
The Chief Commissioner ICT, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him under section 4 of The Minimum Wages Ordinance, 1961 and in pursuance of Article-2 of the Islamabad Capital Territory Administration Order 1980 and all other powers enabling him in this behalf has fixed the minimum wage of Rs. 961.53/= per day or Rs. 25,000/= p.m. for unskilled adult and juvenile workers in all Industrial/Commercial establishments in the Islamabad Capital Territory (I.C.T) w.e.f. 01-04-2022 vide its Notification No. ADLW-8(20)/ICT/2021-2052 dated 28-04-2022. Salient features of the same are given as under: ––
- That the minimum wage of adult and juvenile workers, both male and female, temporary or permanent whole-time workers would be paid Rs. 25,000/= p.m. or Rs. 961.53/= per day w.e.f. 01-04-2022.
- The daily minimum wage for piece rated workers would be 1/26th of the monthly minimum wage amounting to Rs. 962/= per day which proportionately includes element of minimum wage for weekly holiday in it and, therefore, no separate payment for weekly off day would be required. Overtime, daily/weekly working hours, weekly rest days, work on weekly holidays, etc. shall be governed by relevant provisions of the Factories Act, 1934, Payment of Wages Act, 1936, West Pakistan Shops & Establishment Ordinance 1969 and other relevant labour laws.
- Wages of skilled and semiskilled workers may be fixed by employers but the same cannot be less than the minimum wages fixed now for unskilled adult and juvenile workers. The wage would mean as defined by Section 2(8) of the Minimum Wages Ordinance, 1961.
- Wages of piece rated workers are also revised which would not be less than this minimum wage be it on monthly, daily, hourly or piece rate basis.
- If any establishment is paying higher than this minimum wage, the same cannot be reduced. The employer is free to pay higher wage voluntarily or by collective agreement keeping in view various factors including high cost of living in a particular locality or other reasons.
- This minimum wage would apply to the permanent, temporary, whole time, monthly rated, daily rated and piece rated unskilled adult male female and juvenile workers and they shall continue to enjoy existing other benefits given to them and the same shall not be adjusted against this minimum wage.
For further details if required, you may consult your labour laws consultant.
For M/s S. M. Yaqoob